rpm acting odd on fresh install

tyche tyche at ica.net
Tue Jun 20 23:07:41 UTC 2006

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 16:48 -0400, tyche wrote:
>
>>Rick Stevens wrote:

>>>Become the root user and perform the following steps:
>>>
>>>	1.  # cd /var/lib/rpm
>>>	2.  # rm -f __db.*
>>>	3.  # rpm --rebuilddb
>>>
>>>This rebuilds the database files for RPM.  Once that's all done, you can
>>>try to do your "rpm -i" commands to install the packages you want.
>>>
>>>Give it a try and let us know how you get along.  Also note that FC2 is
>>>quite old and I'm not even sure Fedora Legacy is still supporting it.
>>>The current release of Fedora Core is FC5.
>>>

>>dont have the resources to upgrade beyond that right now.
>>could always go back to rh8
>

> RH8 is even older!  FC5 is free.

i know. its not the price of the cdrom that is the bother,
its upgrading the system.

>>will let you know about that database
>

> Ok.
deleted the db files, had a screen full of key errors go
whipping by. rebuild, same problem, tho i can use -i --force
-- nodeps. but most of the packages installed are there
(gawk for instance, isnt recognized as being installed by
rpm tho it does run)

as for the no support, can always download the source and
recompile. its just getting the source codes that is a pain.

tia, will keep trying the rpm files in /var see what is what
in there. will keep ya updated on progress.

thanks for the help

tyche