RHEL 4 PPC install problem

Aubrey Barnard aubreys_key at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 28 17:46:39 UTC 2006

> > From: "Juha Vierinen" <jvierine at gmail.com>
> To: "Getting started with Red Hat Linux"
> <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 03:53:14 +0300
> Subject: Re: RHEL 4 PPC install problem
>
> > Again, on the ISO image or the DVD itself?
>
> On the ISO image. I just burned a new DVD and the md5sum is  using
> md5sum /dev/dvd is not correct, but I'm not sure if that is how you do
> a checksum for a DVD. Oh well. I'll try it anyway tomorrow. Why is it
> always that the software that you pay for never works :)
>
> > Just where did you get this image?  As near as I can see, Red Hat
> > doesn't mention Apple or PowerPC anywhere in their docs for either
> RHEL3
> > or 4.  I don't have any PPC-based machines so I don't have access to
> > their download site for PPC (if any).  I also don't see any PPC-based
> > ISOs from CentOS, either.
>
> I found it at the link I had in my previous e-mail. I also assumed,
> possibly falsely, that fedora ~ rhel. Because fedora worked, then
> there would be a working rhel.
>
> https://rhn.redhat.com/network/software/channels/downloads.pxt?cid=4042
>
> juha

Keep in mind that Fedora is a test bed for what is eventually incorporated
into RedHat. That is, what is available from Fedora is a superset (in some
sense) of what is available from RedHat. Therefore, if Fedora supports PPC
nicely, it is probable that RedHat will eventually support it, but you'd
have to ask them about when it would be available. IIRC, PPC support is
relatively new to Fedora, and so I wouldn't be surprised if RedHat doesn't
support PPC yet.

As for your Fortran, perhaps you can tweak it to run on Fedora with full
functionality?

Aubrey