kermit configuration file

Bob Kinney bc98kinney at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 13 15:51:57 UTC 2006

> [...]
> > help.
> >
> > I'm trying to get kermit to read two commands from a .mykermrc file in my
> home
> > directory:
> >
> > SET LINE /dev/ttyS0
> > SET CARRIER-WATCH OFF
> >
> > I also have an identical .kermrc.
> >
> > For some reason, the SET LINE command does not work.
> >
> > [bob at micron ~]$ kermit
> > /var/lock
> > C-Kermit 8.0.209, 17 Mar 2003, for Red Hat Linux 8.0
> >  Copyright (C) 1985, 2003,
> >   Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
> > Type ? or HELP for help.
> > (/home/bob/) C-Kermit>show file
> >
> >  Transfer mode:           automatic
> >  File patterns:           automatic (SHOW PATTERNS for list)
> >  File scan:               on 49152
> >  Default file type:       binary
> >  File names:              converted
> >  Send pathnames:          off
> >  Receive pathnames:       auto
> >  Match dot files:         no
> >  Wildcard-expansion:      kermit
> >  File collision:          backup
> >  File destination:        disk
> >  File incomplete:         auto
> >  File bytesize:           8
> >  File character-set:      ascii
> >  File default 7-bit:      ascii
> >  File default 8-bit:      latin1-iso
> >  File UCS bom:            on
> >  File UCS byte-order:     little-endian
> >  Computer byteorder:      little-endian
> >  File end-of-line:        lf
> >  File eof:                length
> >  File download-directory: (none)
> >  Send move-to:            (none)
> >  Send rename-to:          (none)
> >  Receive move-to:         (none)
> >  Receive rename-to:       (none)
> >  Initialization file:     /home/bob/.kermrc
> >  Root set:                (none)
> >  Disk output buffer:      32768 (writes are buffered, blocking)
> >  Stringspace:             500000
> >  Listsize:                102400
> >  Longest filename:        255
> >  Longest pathname:        4096
> >  Last file sent:          (none)
> >  Last file received:      (none)
> >
> >  Also see:
> >  SHOW PROTOCOL, SHOW XFER, SHOW PATTERNS, SHOW STREAMING, SHOW
> CHARACTER-SETS
> > (/home/bob/) C-Kermit>show comm
> >
> > Communications Parameters:
> >  Line: /dev/tty, speed: unknown, mode: remote, modem: generic
> >  Parity: none, duplex: full, flow: none, handshake: none
> >  Carrier-watch: off, close-on-disconnect: off
> >  Lockfile directory: /var/lock
> >  Typical port device name: /dev/ttyS0
> >
> > Modem signals unavailable
> >
> > Type SHOW DIAL to see DIAL-related items.
> > Type SHOW MODEM to see modem-related items.
> >
> > (/home/bob/) C-Kermit>
> >

> > If I rename .kermrc to hide it, the CARRIER-WATCH line changes to the
> > system default of "auto".
> >

> > Using FC3 on kernel 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3.
> >
> > Anyone have any advice?
>
> First, swap the "SET CARRIER-WATCH OFF" and the "SET LINE /dev/ttyS0"
> lines.  You have to turn off carrier watch before swapping to a line

Thanks for the advice Rick.  I tried it, without success.  This seems to
be something that broke between RH9 and FC3 distros.  I had it working on
RH9, but I did FC3 as a fresh install.

Seems to me that a *lot* of stuff broke between those releases:
Installer (anaconda drive geometry problems)
Sound
man page database not created
etc.

[bob at micron ~]$ cat .kermrc

SET CARRIER-WATCH OFF
SET LINE /dev/ttyS0

[bob at micron ~]$ kermit
/var/lock
C-Kermit 8.0.209, 17 Mar 2003, for Red Hat Linux 8.0
 Copyright (C) 1985, 2003,
  Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
Type ? or HELP for help.
(/home/bob/) C-Kermit>connect
Sorry, you must SET LINE or SET HOST first
(/home/bob/) C-Kermit>quit
[bob at micron ~]$