kermit configuration file

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 13 18:07:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 07:51 -0800, Bob Kinney wrote:

> > On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 15:46 -0800, Bob Kinney wrote:
> > > I've searched high and low for an answer to this; hopefully somebody here
> > can
> > > help.
> > >
> > > I'm trying to get kermit to read two commands from a .mykermrc file in my
> > home
> > > directory:
> > >
> > > SET LINE /dev/ttyS0
> > > SET CARRIER-WATCH OFF
> > >
> > > I also have an identical .kermrc.
> > >
> > > For some reason, the SET LINE command does not work.
> > >
> > > [bob at micron ~]$ kermit
> > > /var/lock
> > > C-Kermit 8.0.209, 17 Mar 2003, for Red Hat Linux 8.0
> > >  Copyright (C) 1985, 2003,
> > >   Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
> > > Type ? or HELP for help.
> > > (/home/bob/) C-Kermit>show file
> > >
> > >  Transfer mode:           automatic
> > >  File patterns:           automatic (SHOW PATTERNS for list)
> > >  File scan:               on 49152
> > >  Default file type:       binary
> > >  File names:              converted
> > >  Send pathnames:          off
> > >  Receive pathnames:       auto
> > >  Match dot files:         no
> > >  Wildcard-expansion:      kermit
> > >  File collision:          backup
> > >  File destination:        disk
> > >  File incomplete:         auto
> > >  File bytesize:           8
> > >  File character-set:      ascii
> > >  File default 7-bit:      ascii
> > >  File default 8-bit:      latin1-iso
> > >  File UCS bom:            on
> > >  File UCS byte-order:     little-endian
> > >  Computer byteorder:      little-endian
> > >  File end-of-line:        lf
> > >  File eof:                length
> > >  File download-directory: (none)
> > >  Send move-to:            (none)
> > >  Send rename-to:          (none)
> > >  Receive move-to:         (none)
> > >  Receive rename-to:       (none)
> > >  Initialization file:     /home/bob/.kermrc
> > >  Root set:                (none)
> > >  Disk output buffer:      32768 (writes are buffered, blocking)
> > >  Stringspace:             500000
> > >  Listsize:                102400
> > >  Longest filename:        255
> > >  Longest pathname:        4096
> > >  Last file sent:          (none)
> > >  Last file received:      (none)
> > >
> > >  Also see:
> > >  SHOW PROTOCOL, SHOW XFER, SHOW PATTERNS, SHOW STREAMING, SHOW
> > CHARACTER-SETS
> > > (/home/bob/) C-Kermit>show comm
> > >
> > > Communications Parameters:
> > >  Line: /dev/tty, speed: unknown, mode: remote, modem: generic
> > >  Parity: none, duplex: full, flow: none, handshake: none
> > >  Carrier-watch: off, close-on-disconnect: off
> > >  Lockfile directory: /var/lock
> > >  Typical port device name: /dev/ttyS0
> > >
> > > Modem signals unavailable
> > >
> > > Type SHOW DIAL to see DIAL-related items.
> > > Type SHOW MODEM to see modem-related items.
> > >
> > > (/home/bob/) C-Kermit>
> > >

> > > If I rename .kermrc to hide it, the CARRIER-WATCH line changes to the
> > > system default of "auto".
> > >

> > > Using FC3 on kernel 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any advice?

> [...]

There's a HELL of a lot different.  You've skipped two entire releases:

RH9->FC1:  FC1 was going to be RH10 before Red Hat split commercial and
"experimental" (FC) releases.  Both based on 2.4 kernels, FC1 was a
significant departure regarding installation and such.

FC1->FC2: Jump from 2.4 to 2.6 kernel, along with all of the kernel
utilities, kernel modules, filesystem changes, switch to udev from
sysfs, a ton of stuff.

FC2->FC3: Incremental update.  FC3 became the basis for RHEL 4.x.

FC3->FC4: Another incremental update.  FC4 very stable.

(soon) FC4->FC5:  Haven't looked at the differences docs yet.

-   NEWS FLASH! Intelligence of mankind decreasing!  Details at...   -
-     uh, when, uh, the little hand is, uh, on the...  Aw, NUTS!     -