Built new server, but says it has 33Mhz fsb

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 22 19:33:10 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 12:12 -0500, Jason Brown wrote:
> The new server that I built has a 754 AMD Sempron along with a
> Biostart motherboard.  I installed RHEL AS v.4 on it last night and
> during the initial install process it says that it couldn't locate
> something and it was going to assume that it was going to run at 33Mhz
> FSB.  Seeing that it spit out a bunch of things before it goes to the
> graphical interface for the install I couldn't really see what the
> reason was for making it go at such a slow speed.  Is there a way that
> I can check to see if its still running at that speed and if it is,
> how do I correct it?

Check the output of "dmesg" and the /var/log/dmesg file.  Odds are that
the probe of the IDE interface came up with 33MHz for PIO operations
(pretty normal).  If you are SURE that your IDE will work at 66MHz for
PIO, then you can append "idebus=66" to the end of the kernel line in
your grub.conf file.

-   To err is human.  To forgive, a large sum of money is needed.    -