Printing to printer on Windoze machine

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sun Mar 26 04:26:20 UTC 2006

Harold Hallikainen wrote:

>>>I don't know about using the URI.  In system-config-printer, you fill
>>>in separate boxes for the printer name, hostname or IP address, and
>>>workgroup name.  I just tested it by configuring to print to my wife's
>>>Epson printer hooked up to her XP box.
>>>

>>Hmmm. Nothing is ever simple. The system-config-printer help says it'll
>>scan the network and find shared printers. It didn't. My wife's Windoze ME
>>did. I then put in the Workgroup (HomeNet). For server, I tried Sony (the
>>name of the machine), 192.168.1.5 (its IP address), and smb://192.168.1.5.
>>For share, I used PSEMU (which is what the share is set to, and my wife's
>>Windoze machine finds it under that name). For username, I tried "harold"
>>since I log into the desktop with the printer with that name, and as
>>guest, as suggested in the help file. I set the password that worked on my
>>wife's laptop. So far, nothing works. The dialog box keeps coming back.
>>
>>I'll plug this machine into the network at work tomorrow and see if it
>>finds anything there. Any more ideas?
>>
>>THANKS!
>>
>>Harold
>>

>Still fighting this! I find it interesting that Konqueror can find the
>shared files on the WinME machine, but printer config cannot find the
>shared printer, that my wife's WinME machine can find. I'm sure eventually
>I'll get printing through smb working (with your help!). Another
>possibility I'm wondering about it IPP. I wonder if there's an IPP
>interface (server?) that would run on WinME. It would watch the
>appropriate port and send stuff to the printer.
>
>THANKS!
>
>Harold

Hi Harold

I found a TCP/IP client for Win98 that allows printing to an LPR/LPD
printer's IP address. I don't know if that will help, but if so, let me
know and I could email it to you privately.

Karl

--
karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---