Printing to printer on Windoze machine

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sun Mar 26 06:52:25 UTC 2006

>>>Hmmm. Nothing is ever simple. The system-config-printer help says it'll
>>>scan the network and find shared printers. It didn't. My wife's Windoze
>>> ME
>>>did. I then put in the Workgroup (HomeNet). For server, I tried Sony
>>> (the
>>>name of the machine), 192.168.1.5 (its IP address), and
>>> smb://192.168.1.5.
>>>For share, I used PSEMU (which is what the share is set to, and my
>>> wife's
>>>Windoze machine finds it under that name). For username, I tried
>>> "harold"
>>>since I log into the desktop with the printer with that name, and as
>>>guest, as suggested in the help file. I set the password that worked on
>>> my
>>>wife's laptop. So far, nothing works. The dialog box keeps coming back.
>>>
>>>I'll plug this machine into the network at work tomorrow and see if it
>>>finds anything there. Any more ideas?
>>>
>>>THANKS!
>>>
>>>Harold
>>>

>>Still fighting this! I find it interesting that Konqueror can find the
>>shared files on the WinME machine, but printer config cannot find the
>>shared printer, that my wife's WinME machine can find. I'm sure
>> eventually
>>I'll get printing through smb working (with your help!). Another
>>possibility I'm wondering about it IPP. I wonder if there's an IPP
>>interface (server?) that would run on WinME. It would watch the
>>appropriate port and send stuff to the printer.
>>
>>THANKS!
>>
>>Harold

> Hi Harold
>
> I found a TCP/IP client for Win98 that allows printing to an LPR/LPD
> printer's IP address. I don't know if that will help, but if so, let me
> know and I could email it to you privately.
>
> Karl

Thanks! I think that's the "wrong end" of the system. As I understand it,
the client would let the Win98 machine print to an IPP printer. I'd like
something (a server?) that allows a printer on the Windows machine to be
printed to by other IPP clients on the network (or get my smb printing to
work!).

Thanks for the offer!

Harold

--