Crash during root file system check on boot

Stephane Branchoux stephane.branchoux at univ-perp.fr
Mon Mar 27 15:30:37 UTC 2006

Bob McClure Jr wrote:

>On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 03:59:56PM +0200, Stephane Branchoux wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I run Redhats AS4.0 (2.6.9-34.ELsmp) with lvm2 .
>>
>>My system crashes during file system check on boot :
>>
>>/dev/VolGroup00/Logvol00 is mounted e2fsck : cannot continue, aborting.
>>give root password for maintenance.
>>

>So, at this point, did you give the root password and then
>
>  e2fsck -y /dev/VolGroup00/Logvol00
>
>If not, try that.
>

>>Then, if i use vgchange -a y, and init 3, i cant mount all filesystems
>>and all seems OK.
>>
>>I tried to boot on cdrom in rescue mode in order to check root file
>>system but i have same message.
>>This file system chech occurs running /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script.
>>
>>grub.conf is like this :
>>title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.6.9-34.ELsmp)
>>       root (hd0,0)
>>       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-34.ELsmp ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>>rhgb  acpi=off vga=0x317
>>       initrd /initrd-2.6.9-34.ELsmp.img
>>

>>How can i solve this problem ?
>>
>>Many thanks.
>>
>>--
>>stephane BRANCHOUX
>>Centre de Ressources Informatiques de l'Université de Perpignan.
>>Systèmes/Réseaux
>>mailto:stephane.branchoux at univ-perp.fr
>>04 68 66 21 24
>>Validation signature / Trusting signature: http://igc.cru.fr/trust.html
>>

>Cheers,

Yes i tried :

e2fsck -y /dev/VolGroup00/Logvol00

running fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause severe filesystem damage.
Are you sure : YES
Recovering journal .. clean

And when i reboot, it is the same :

Mar 27 17:15:46 maja fsck: /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 is mounted.
Mar 27 17:15:46 maja fsck: e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

mailto:stephane.branchoux at univ-perp.fr
04 68 66 21 24
Validation signature / Trusting signature: http://igc.cru.fr/trust.html

--
Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
suspect n'a ete trouve.