HAL daemon hangs RHEL 4 Update 2 box @ bootup

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 04:41:19 UTC 2006

Basically what happens is that I do an 'everything' install (required for
this machine) and all goes well, then when it does its first full bootup it
is hung forever.  Obviously the box *does* boot up fully, because I can ssh
into it if I wait a little bit.   But I am wondering how to kill HAL,
whatever that is.  Actually I don't want to just kill it, I want to
permanently disable it if there is a way to do that.  So my options are:

- Any kernel parameters to pass at the same time?   Already have 'rhgb
quiet' appended (install did it not me);

 - When I ssh in, can anyone tell me how to turn it all off via CLI?  I know
how to do kill -9 but I don't know enough about init and related bootup
files.  I do not want to just do a ps -ef| grep HAL* and kill it by process
number.  Instead I want to remove it but I would also like to know what the
heck it is, for curiosity's sake.

- Does anyone know of a specific HAL daemon rpm package that I could just
remove?  I do know how to do that.

- Which brings me to the 'everything' install.  Is this really safe to do?
I am given req's to do that with this machine, but ordinarily I would want
to do a somewhat conservative type of install, adding in only what I think I
need, or might need.  SELinux is off on this machine, as is the firewall so
I know they aren't interfering.

- Oh, one more thing, please don't tell me to just do up2date.  I am on a
disconnected DoD network and I cannot just connect up to the RHN / Internet
for that for both security related and procedural reasons.

Thanks in advance,

Marc