Help I've got an XP on my Linux network

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 29 00:06:21 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 00:28 +0300, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> Greetings Stuart ,
>

> Stuart Sears wrote:
> > When you then read pop email from a different client, all the emails
> > that you previously downloaded will still be marked as unread. IIRC pop
> > doesn't store that info... please correct me if I have this wrong, but
> > this has been my experience with every pop server I have tried.
>

> Indeed you are correct again . This noon i tried to download my email
> from my Windows Installation, while yesterday i have left the messages on
> the server , well tthey downloaded everything , they reported the entire
> number of messages as new , while there were not . Since the POP3 protocol
> is platform independent we can safely say that indeed the POP3 protocol has
> no mechanism of differentiating new from old mails . Despite that
> yesterday night
> i have read the POP3 RFC from rfc-editor.org and indeed there was no
> reference
> to a mechanism that would clasify messages to new and old ones .

That's not entirely true, Kostas.  The pop server can (and most do) add
an X-UID header line to _viewed_ messages.  When the server scans the
inbox the next time, the presence of an X-UID header line means the
message has been previously viewed (and is therefore "old").

-                   Never try to outstubborn a cat.                  -