Problems creating image CDs of RH W4U3

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue May 30 18:02:57 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 12:18 -0400, Jorge E Maldonado wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Below I describe the antecedents of the problem:
> 1. I properly download the easy ISO images of RH WS4U3 from the security RH
> network page
> 2. I check using md5sum that downloaded images were all right.
> 3. md5sum numbers agreed with the ones form RH network easy ISO images. In
> fact, I copy and paste md5sum numbers in separate files for each image
> including the ISO file name and the results were OK for all the images.
> 4. I am assuming that images were download all right and are in good
> conditions to be burned.
> 5. Using cdrecord I burned the images into CDs using the following command:
> cdrecord -v -dao dev=0,0,0 ISO-IMAGE-FILE.iso
>
> Please, notice that I use cdrecord -scanbus first to identify dev unit
> 6. When I start with the installation, I did media check and CDs: CD2, CD3,
> CD4 failed.
> 7. I have accentually burned about 6 times the CD2 with the same result.
> 8. I downloaded two times more the images and checked and they were correct.
> 9. I have tested to burned them in different CD units and I got the same
> result
> 10. Notice that disk1, that is, boot disk created from first image file
> works fine.
>
> Could you please help me to create a proper set of CDs from the ISO images?

Well, there's several issues possible.  First, make sure you are using
name-brand 700MB (80 minute) CD-R media.  The "cheap stuff" won't cut
it.  Second, try not using "-dao" mode.  Third, try slowing down the
burn speed (try using 1/2 the rated speed of your drive..for a 48x
drive, try "speed=24" or even less).

> Alternatively, I have created a 4 GB partition in the hard disk. I have put
> ISO images on that partition. I boot with the CD#1 and when I tried to do
> the installation form the hard disk, pointing to ISO image file, system
> responds that is not valid and fails.

All of the ISO images must be on that partition and they must be named
EXACTLY the same as they were when downloaded (same capitalization and
everything).

-        Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.        -