USB Storage support to Thin Clients.

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Fri May 12 14:11:16 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 11:18:18PM +0300, davut wrote:
> Thanks for reply. I have HPT5525 Thin
> Client(http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/12454-321959-89307-338927-89307-500797.html).
> Linux 2.4 running on it, and  XFCE 3.X Desktop Manager running on it.
> Unfortunately, XFCE hasn't a dropdown menu or secondary window about
> local devices or USB disk.
>
> On thin client's OS without connect to server's X server, When I plugged
> the USB disk to thin client, I tried as a root user #mount /dev/sda1
> /mnt/usb but got an error that "/dev/sda1 not found". There isn't sda
> device at system. So, I couldn't use USB disk via mount it on console.
> Then, I connect to the server's X server.  I plugged USB disk to thin
> client, but I could not see /dev/sda on system(on server). What can I do?

Davut, Are you running LTSP on your server?

If your not, you should be. its the best supported and most widely used
thin client server setup available for Linux.

If you are its very simple to add usb recognition to the thin clients,
just add it to the workstation config file.

For fast expert advice on how to do anything with thin clients see #ltsp
on freenode irc or join the ltsp mailing list at:

and you can visit the web site at www.ltsp.org where this also a wiki
that is well populated with good information.

Speech Recognition Technology was used to create this e-mail