Red Hat Enterprise WS 4 - Hardware Device not found

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri May 12 18:04:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 10:29 +0100, Mistry Hitesh wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm trying to install an AMD 64 bit version of WS 4 on a HP AMD 64bit
> 3500 + machine with a 160GB SATA hard drive.
>

> The installation disc does not appear to pick up the hard drive giving
> a 'device not found' message. We know that the hard drive works as it
> is picked up in BIOS and it also works with Windows loaded on the
> machine. Is there a SATA driver for this version of Linux?
>
> I can't seem to find a driver for the PC (dx5150 MT).

According to Red Hat, that system is fully supported and certified:

	http://bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert/show.cgi?id=163251

I suspect what's actually happening is that the installer is finding the
device, but there's no "uncommitted" space on the drive.  In other
words, the entire drive is sucked up by Windows.

If the installer can't find free space, it will will abort with that
(somewhat misleading) message.  You will need to shrink down your
existing Windows partitions to make space for Linux to be installed.
I'd recommend Partition Magic or Partition Commander (both commercial
products...do a Google search for free ones) to shrink those partitions
down.

-                    I doubt, therefore I might be.                  -