network configuration

Dennis D. Calhoun dcalhoun at blomand.net
Mon May 15 18:11:50 UTC 2006

From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Nofriyadi
Nurdam
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 5:58 AM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: network configuration

Hallo Rick, Marc, Stuart and the others

I am very confused.
I have tried to write: onfiltered=yes
in file "/etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-eth0"
After that, Red Hat didn't work. It hanged.
I have re-installed and now have still the problem.

On the computer there are windows xp, Mandrake and RedHat9.
I have installed RedHat9 as the last one and without Boot Loader.
I use Boot Loader from Mandrake.
As booting the RedHat9, I got message: IP Address 127.0.0.1 is used by
the other.
Could the network configuration problem come from the other Linux?

 Hello Nofri ,

As Rick Stevens has explained, you cannot us 127.0.01 for a network
address. To expand on that a bit, that address is what is generally
known as the "loopback" address. It can be used to test the
functionality of a network interface card. On an individual computer,
if you PING 127.0.0.1 and it works, then it is a good shot that your
NIC is properly, physically installed and powered on, the proper
driver/s for it are properly installed and your TCP/IP stack is
properly installed and working correctly. Concerning a network address
that you CAN use, for the *external* network address of your LAN: The
most common default network address for small LANs (254 or less nodes)
is 192.168.0.xxx with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Dennis Calhoun, MCSA