install from usb stick

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri May 26 12:18:29 UTC 2006

On 5/26/06, Stuart Sears <stuart at sjsears.com> wrote:

> inode0 wrote:
>
> > I don't really understand this. You can toss all the rpms into a
> > network install tree and just point at it so why wouldn't pointing
> > your installation to the same tree on your usb stick work?
> >

> Because a USB install counts as a harddisk install and the 'harddisk'
> option in anaconda requires that you have .iso images.
> I am fairly certain you used to be able to use an install tree, but now
> it definitely needs the .isos

Ah, the installation guide does say that - my curiosity is going to
kill me about this now though and I'll have to do some
experimentation.

Needing the iso images may still not be a deal breaker depending on
what exactly is needed for the install. I'm a bit afraid that
installing from a usb stick may take about a week to actually do
though as my experience with RHEL and USB sticks/disks has not been
very good.

> shame if they changed it...

Yes, I can't really imagine a good reason for this restriction.

John