Gateway Problems

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri May 26 19:01:32 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 12:49 -0600, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> I'm running FC2 on my file server. Every time it has to be
> booted (power outage) it does not establish it's Gateway.  the
> /etc/ssyconfig/network file has a line that says "GATEWAY =
> 192.168.1.1" but I have to type in "route add default gw
> 192.168.1.1 eth0" to get the gateway to open up.  It wouldn't be
> so bad but this server runs fetchmail for me so my on-line email
> boxes don't get too full.

Make sure /etc/sysconfig/network has

	GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

in it with NO SPACES (remember, it's a shell variable definition...no
spaces allowed).  Also verify you don't have a "GATEWAY=" line in any
of your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX files.

-      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
-  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
-               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -