Redhat NTPD Clock (Bob, you may have the problem)

John Wirt j.wirt.112 at comcast.net
Sat May 27 16:21:46 UTC 2006

Bob McClure Jr wrote:

>On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 10:30:50PM -0400, John Wirt wrote:
>

>>Bob McClure Jr wrote:

>>>Not sure what you mean by that.  Post the results of "netstat -rn".
>>>You can do that as your mere mortal self.
>>>

>>Here are the results of netstat -rn:
>>
>>Destination   Gateway        Genmask          Flags   MSS  WIndow irtt  iface
>>192.168.10.0  0.0.0.0        255.255.255.0    U         0  0         0  eth0
>>169.254.0.0   0.0.0.0        255.255.0.0      U         0  0         0  eth0
>>0.0.0.0       192.168.10.100 0.0.0.0          UG        0  0         0  eth0
>>
>>I tried sending this information by email to the computer that I am
>>sending this from. The email apparently left my Linux machine  but never
>>arrived at the other one. I am currently using the KDE desktop on the
>>Linux machine.  Evolution email does not work.
>>
>>192.168.10.0 is the IP address of my local LAN. I have a cable modem
>>connected to a Linksys router, which has four LAN ports.
>>

>Is its gateway address 192.168.10.100?  That seems a bit unusual.

You may be onto something here. Originally, I used NAT to access the
Internet through another machine. The NAT gateway was 192.168.10.100.
and  all machines had fixed addressing (including my Linux machine).
Recently, I switched to using a cable modem and router to form the local
LAN. This LAN is set up using all DHCP.   Probably, I need to change the
network configuration on my Linux machine to turn on DHCP.

I tried all the network configuration applications on the KDE desktop
(Network Devices, etc.) but none allow designation of fixed v. DHCP
addressing, or I could find anything.

How can I configure eth0 on my Linux machine?

>Are all the machines on static IP addresses or on DHCP?
>

>How does one machine find another by name, i.e. are you using a local
>DNS or does the router do DNS for the internal network?

DNS comes from Comcast. I know Comcast's DNS addresses.  The router must
do the DNS. DNS is on auto for all my other machines and they work fine
to the Internet.

John Wirt