setting up VNC Server on Linux

LATULIPPE Paul Paul.Latulippe at alcatel.com
Thu Nov 16 15:24:32 UTC 2006

Not sure if this will help or not, however this is how I set-up VNC and
it worked just fine, I can connect with a client or via a browser:

Login as $USER
vncpasswd  (choose one, confirm)
root:  vi /etc/sysconfig/vncserver

VNCSERVERS="1:root"
VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 1024x768"

root:  /sbin/chkconfig vncserver on
root:  service vncserver start
open up firewall ports (5801 and 5901) where 01 is the id used in
$VNCSERVERS.  5801 browser base access, 5901 standalone VNC client
access.
With service started, switch back to $USER
cd ~
cd ./vnc
vi xstartup
you might want to uncomment the two first lines for a normal desktop
with both ports open you can connect via a browser:
http://$FULY_QUALIFIED_HOST_NAME:5801
with a VNC client (i.e.  RealVNC):  $FULLY_QUALIFIED_HOST_NAME:1

Good luck and let me know if it worked,
Paul