Kernel Panic on RHEL 4 CD

Andrew Smith asmith at umdgrb.umd.edu
Thu Nov 23 12:53:33 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to install RHEL 4 on an HP DL140 G3 with 2 dual core
Xeon 5140 CPUs. I'm using the 64-bit version of the OS and the
4th update (most recent at the time of this post). The kernel
panics immediately after beginning the boot from the cd, so
no install is possible.

I tried the install with multiple media and multiple iso downloads.
I also tried update 3 with the same results.

I have successfully put the 32-bit version of RHEL 4 on the machine
and it runs fine but at half the speed of a 64-bit OS for number
crunching.

I tried to install RHEL 5 beta, but the installer crashed during
the install complaining that it couldn't find an xml file. I
guess it is just too beta.

Questions:

1) Is this a known bug? I can find only one other reference on
    the net to a similar problem.
2) Has this problem been fixed with more recent kernels?
3) Is there a way to install using the most recent kernel, instead
    of the kernel on the most recent update cd? There have been
    several kernel updates since the update 4 cd was released.

Thanks -Andy