about gcc-fortran run-time message catalog

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Oct 6 22:32:29 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 11:16 +0300, Davut AKCICEK wrote:
> Hi,
> I've a problem with SPEC2000 SimpleScalar-3.0 Simulator while running
> wupwise benchmark.
> When I tried to running wupwise benchmark; it shows these errors and
> warnings:
>
> forrtl: info: Fortran error message number is 29.
> forrtl: warning: Could not open message catalog: for_msg.cat.
> forrtl: info: Check environment variable NLSPATH and protection of
> usr/lib/nls/msg/en_US.ISO8859-1/for_msg.cat
>
> So, a few of the benchmark couldn't be run(For example wupwise,...).
>
> I use Fedora 3 Core, gcc, gcc-fortran for this simulation. Default
> Fortran compiler doesn't have Fortran Run-time Message
> Catalog. I downloaded for_msg.cat from internet and put it to
> /usr/lib/nls/msg/en_US.ISO8859-1/for_msg.cat.
>
> Eventhough while wupwise benchmark is running same errors are viewing.
>
> What can I do? Will you suggest to me anything?

Well, first off, make sure that the file you installed is readable by
all users.  As the root user, do:

	chmod ugo+r /usr/lib/nls/msg/en_US.ISO8859-1/for_msg.cat

That will ensure that everyone can read the file.  You also want to
ensure that everyone can traverse the path to the file, so run namei
on the path.  Again, as root run

	namei -m /usr/lib/nls/msg/en_US.ISO8859-1/for_msg.cat

You should see something like:

[root at prophead ~]# namei -m /usr/lib/nls/msg/en_US.ISO8859-1/for_msg.cat
f: /usr/lib/nls/msg/en_US.ISO8859-1/for_msg.cat
 drwxr-xr-x /
 drwxr-xr-x usr
 drwxr-xr-x lib
 drwxr-xr-x nls
 drwxr-xr-x msg
 drwxr-xr-x en_US.ISO8859-1
 -r--r--r-- for_msg.cat

The important bits there are the "rwxr-xr-x" parts for each segment of
the path to the file.  If ANY path segment is missing the last "r-x"
bit, other users can't get to the file and you'll get the same error.

-                    Do you know where _your_ towel is?              -