SMTP Attacks

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Tue Oct 31 21:03:05 UTC 2006

>>> Yes.  God help you if you ever get on their list.  It's damned near
>>> impossible to get off--even if you were incorrectly listed or can prove
>>> whatever was wrong has been fixed.
>>>
>>> They provide NO mechanism to unlist yourself or submit your site for a
>>> check (or didn't last time I checked), and if you were unfairly listed,
>>> they offer no apologies if they do take you off.
>>>
>>> Their blocks can be draconian...I've seen them list an entire /19
>>> network because ONE server had been compromised.
>>>
>>> I applaud their efforts, but the way they do things is really, really
>>> bush league.  If you're going to label someone as a spammer based on
>>> someone else's say-so, you'd better provide ways to get off the list if
>>> you've been put on it.  They don't, and that's why I consider them
>>> Nazis.
>>>

>>> ...ir attitude is "F*ck you...you're a spammer and will
>>> always be a spammer
>

>> Any comments on http://www.spamcop.net ? They seem to be working well
>> for
>> me. I can watch /var/maillog and watch spam being rejected all day.
>> Here's
>> one from a few minutes ago...
>
>> Oct 31 09:38:55 sujan sendmail[2169]: ruleset=check_relay,
>> arg1=OL88-54.fibertel.com.ar, arg2=127.0.0.2, relay=OL88-54.fiberte
>> l.com.ar [24.232.54.88], reject=553 5.3.0 Spam blocked see:
>> http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?24.232.54.88
>

>> Harold

> hm,  spamcop blocks too many addresses for me. so, I often
> got  no  mails  from  friends  that send from big nets (like strato.de,
> aol.de, 1und1.de and so on). so I don't use it anymore.
>
> try these ones:
> dul.maps.vix.com, relays.orbs.org, opm.blitzed.org, rfc-ignorant.org,
> cbl.abuseat.org
>
> or if you have one more that's very good, just give me a hint :)
>
> thx & cheers
> oliver

I've only had trouble with one mailing list I subscribe to getting listed
on spamcop. I added this:

connect:mit.edu OK

to /etc/mail/access

A little more user friendly way to "whitelist" senders would be nice, but
this worked.

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com - Advertising