red hat user interface urgent

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Sep 12 18:18:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 08:01 -0700, Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> [...]

Yes, I agree, but the way I interpreted what the OP said was that RHEL
doesn't have a GUI, and that's wrong.  Whether it's installed or not is
a different matter.  I may have misread or read more into the initial
statement than I should, but hey...

> We don't run "X" on our server consoles for reliability reasons.  We've
> had XWindows up and die on it's own in the past, in the process causing
> the machine to not boot.  (At least I couldn't find any admins to claim
> that they changed any X related files) The simple response was, after
> fixing the server, just bring up our servers in runtime level 3.
> Afterall, who needs a GUI on a server console?

95% of our stuff is that way also, Trav.  There are some applications
that run on servers that _do_ require X, unfortunately.  IIRC, Oracle
used to, and there are others (Hitachi SAN Manager, etc.).

> Just saying that what they said, while patently false for the operating
> system, may be accurate for how they configured their environment.

This is true.

-  What's small, yellow and very, VERY dangerous?  The root canary!  -