Virtual hosts

Nair, Murlidharan T mnair at iusb.edu
Sun Sep 17 14:37:30 UTC 2006

I am trying to configure my httpd.conf to specify a virtual host. I have
not done this before. I am getting the following error

[root at bioinformatics init.d]# ./httpd restart
Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting httpd: [Sun Sep 17 10:22:55 2006] [error] VirtualHost
_default_:443 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost
address is not supported, proceeding with undefined results
                                                           [  OK  ]

Do I have to make an entry in the DNS record, specifying the virtual
host? Its the cname I guess correct?
Let me know if I have goofed up any where.
Cheers ../Murli

#httpd.conf is this correct ?
# Virtual host Default Virtual Host
NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
        ServerName bioinformatics.iusb.edu
# this is what the ip (149.161.64.244) for the machine has been mapped
as
        ServerAlias www.bioinformatics.iusb.edu
        VirtualDocumentRoot /var/www/html
        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"
        ServerSignature email
        DirectoryIndex  index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml
       LogLevel  warn
#       HostNameLookups off
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName splice.bioinformatics.iusb.edu
    VirtualDocumentRoot /mnt/webservice/splicehtml
    ScriptAlias /cgi/ "/mnt/webservice/splicecgi-bin/"
<Directory "/mnt/webservice/splicehtml">
        Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Allow from all
        Order allow,deny
</Directory>
<Directory "/var/www/icons">
        Options Indexes MultiViews
        AllowOverride None
        Allow from all
        Order allow,deny
</Directory>
<Directory "/mnt/webservice/splicecgi-bin">
        Options ExecCGI
        AllowOverride None
        Allow from all
        Order allow,deny