Installing RHEL with a memory stick

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Sep 19 01:29:57 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 16:20 -0700, Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> Any advice on getting RHEL using a memory stick?
>

> I’ve been googling and have come up with nada.
>

> (the computer doesn’t have CDROM)

Well, yeah.  You need to download the first CD ISO image and mount
it.  E.g.

    # mkdir -p /mnt/work
    # mount -t iso9660 -o loop /path/to/iso/image /mnt/work

On it, you'll find an images/diskboot.img file.  Copy that to your
pen drive using dd.  If the pen drive shows up as /dev/sda, then

    # dd if=/mnt/work/images/diskboot.img of=/dev/sda bs=2K

Then boot from the pen drive, assuming your BIOS supports it.  If not,
and you have a floppy drive, then download SmartBootManager

and put it on a floppy.  Boot from floppy, specify next boot from the
pen drive and voila!  From there, you can do net, diskimage, http or ftp
install (all the standard install stuff is there).

-      Cuteness can be overcome through sufficient bastardry         -
-                                         --Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes   -