Boot Problem after Playing with Powervault

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Sep 22 19:19:46 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 10:47 -0700, Bret Stern wrote:
> So..
>
> Last night I added a recently purchased Dell Powervault 210s to my
> Dell 2450 running Fedora 5.
>
> As I browsed the uninitialized drives on the PowerVault, I
> accidentally/on purpose initialized a disk with a linux boot partition.
> It's just my tinkering habit.
>
> Now my system boots to grub> (that's it). Certainly I hosed
> my Grub boot.
>
> Where i'm at..
>
> I found that there were two bootable partitions on the machine.
> One on sda1, and one on sdb1. I toggled the boot flag on sdb1 (off)
> because I only run Linux and sda1 is the logical boot.
> (Is the above correct thinking). I can always restore the flag.
>

> I have booted my machine using the Fedora cd and typee "linux rescue".
>
> This found my install and I have chosen to "chroot /mnt/sysimage".
>
> I can see all my data.
>
> When I tried "grub-install /dev/sda", I get the following.
>  "/boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly"
>

> What's my next step (maybe I should get into landscaping)  ?

Well, gee. My first guess is that you're using a separate /boot
partition and it's not mounted, so grub-install can't even find the
stage 1 boot code.  After the "chmod /mnt/sysimage", try doing a

	# mount -a

That will force all of the other mounts that are normally done in your
operating environment, including mounting /boot if it _is_ a separate
partition.

Once that's done, verify that your /boot/grub/stage1 file is 512 bytes
in length.  If it is, then try your "grub-install /dev/sda" again and
see if it goes OK.  If it does, then enter "exit" twice (first to get
out of the chroot environment, second to exit the rescue boot), pop out
the CD and see if she'll boot up.

As for landscaping, I hate raking leaves and mowing lawns (did enough
of that when I was a teen 40 years ago).  I have a gardener.  :-)

-    If your broker is so damned smart...why is he still working?    -