UPS comments

mylar micros50 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 1 20:38:58 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 10:04 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

> I have a distrust of Belkin stuff...at least their network gear.  It
> wasn't too long ago that they put code in one of their routers that
> would redirect your connections to an advertising web site every fifth
> or sixth web connection.  They finally fessed up that they had done it.
> >From that time on, I've looked askance at Belkin.

Huh ??? what ?? I had never heard of this .. was this a regular router
that you purchase and own or a complementary router supplied by some
broadband ISP ??

Reason I ask is because as a Verizon FIOS customer I have their
complementary Actiontec router. It works fine and has a lot of cool
features and it runs on Linux. But I did notice that the routers web
(control panel) interface has the Verizon logo as well as several links
to Verizon sponsored sites. Fortunately they don't seem to go so far as
to redirecting query's to advertisers sites.

Sorry for going off topic but I was shocked to hear that Belkin did such
a thing. Very unprofessional and even a security risk.

mylar