FC6 and ndiswrapper

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Mon Apr 2 16:43:59 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 11:46 -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 20:18 -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> >> I did an upgrade on my hp laptop from fc5 to fc6 and my wlan stopped
> >> working. Here's some stuff I've found:
> >>
> >> [root at hhlaptop sbin]# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -l
> >> Installed drivers:
> >> bcmwl5          driver installed, hardware present
> >>
> >> So, it looks like it's there
> >>
> >> [root at hhlaptop sbin]# /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
> >> FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
> >>
> >> But maybe it isn't.
> >>
> >> Check versions between os and ndiswrapper...
> >>
> >> [root at hhlaptop sbin]# cat /proc/version
> >> Linux version 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
> >> (brewbuilder at hs20-bc1-6.build.redhat.com)
> >> (gcc version 4.1.1 20061011 (Red Hat 4.1.1-30)) #1 SMP Mon Oct 16
> >> 14:39:22
> >> EDT 2006
> >>

> >> [root at hhlaptop sbin]# /sbin/modinfo ndiswrapper
> >> modinfo: could not find module ndiswrapper
> >>
> >> Still can't find ndiswrapper...
> >>
> >> Ideas?
> >
> > Harold,
> >
> > ndiswrapper isn't part of the standard distribution and must be rebuilt
> > for each new kernel that gets installed.  You did a major upgrade (FC5
> > to FC6), so the kernel was updated.  Also note that if you update the
> > kernel via yum, you will also need to rebuild ndiswrapper.
> >
> > ndiswrapper actually is made of several parts.  The bit in /usr/sbin
> > is the bit that sets up the Windows driver to be used.  It generally
> > doesn't change and can be used over all kernel versions.  The second
> > bit, ndiswrapper.ko, is the actual kernel module and is kernel-specific.
> > It lives in the "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc" directory.
> >

> THANKS to all! I uninstalled ndiswrapper, then installed the latest, and
> IT WORKS! Next trick is to finish the upgrade of my server from FC4 to
> FC6. At a minimum, it changed httpd.conf so it brings up a default web
> page instead of where my stuff really is. So, I'll start digging through
> stuff to see what doesn't work and fix it. I guess upgrades cannot just be
> load it and run...

Rather depends on how your old Apache was set up.  If you did a custom
configure and modified the /etc/rc.d/init.d script to start your server,
yes, things will be different.  FC6 uses Apache 2.x, with the config
files in /etc/httpd/conf and the content in /var/www/html, and the
startup script reflects that.  I'm not sure anaconda is as nice about
creating "rpmsave" versions of config files as rpm and yum are.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
-    Reality: A crutch for those who can't handle science fiction    -