UPS comments

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Mon Apr 2 16:50:19 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 16:38 -0400, mylar wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 10:04 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>

> > I have a distrust of Belkin stuff...at least their network gear.  It
> > wasn't too long ago that they put code in one of their routers that
> > would redirect your connections to an advertising web site every fifth
> > or sixth web connection.  They finally fessed up that they had done it.
> > >From that time on, I've looked askance at Belkin.
>
> Huh ??? what ?? I had never heard of this .. was this a regular router
> that you purchase and own or a complementary router supplied by some
> broadband ISP ??

Off-the-shelf broadband/DSL router/firewall (can't recall the model
offhand).  HUGE buzz about it about 2-3 years ago.

> Reason I ask is because as a Verizon FIOS customer I have their
> complementary Actiontec router. It works fine and has a lot of cool
> features and it runs on Linux. But I did notice that the routers web
> (control panel) interface has the Verizon logo as well as several links
> to Verizon sponsored sites. Fortunately they don't seem to go so far as
> to redirecting query's to advertisers sites.

Well, Belkin got their knuckles rather severely rapped about it (both
from rather pissed-off clients and the FCC), put up a new firmware
release, and had to notify all users about it.

> Sorry for going off topic but I was shocked to hear that Belkin did such
> a thing. Very unprofessional and even a security risk.

Yup.  They lost me as a potential network customer over it.  I will
reluctantly buy cables and power strips, but nothing a NIC plugs into.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -