adduser not found

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Fri Aug 17 03:26:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 10:00:48PM -0400, Sumit Ahuja wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a newbee on linux. I have two questions:
> 1-) I didn't find adduser or useradd command to add users. I am currently having
> command line access to my machine only so I cannot use graphical utility to add
> user.

You should have the useradd (and usermod and userdel) command.  How is
it you think you don't?

(If you are su-ing to root, be sure to "su -" so that you get all of
root's environment, especially his PATH, which includes /sbin and
/usr/sbin.)

> 2-) I have been strangly seeing some excessive amount of disk usage on my
> account. I checked my account and it shows as if I am using 100Gb space but
> once I calculate the size of all the visible directories it comes out 5Gb only.
> I checked all extenstion .*, *.*, *...Any way to get hold on this?

If you

  cd
  du -s

you get all space consumed by your HOME directory.  Then to get it
broken down by directory (including ".*" directories and files), do

  du -s `ls -A` | less

(Those backticks (`) are the key above the [Tab] key on most
keyboards.)  When you see a large directory, say, ".foobar", you can

  cd .foobar
  du -s `ls -A` | less

Keep doing that until you've sufficiently narrowed things down.

> Thanks in advance!
> --Sumit

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become
blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and
depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as
you hold out the word of life -- in order that I may boast on the day
of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.
Philippians 2:14-16 (NIV)