Help !! It's Baaack !

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Mon Dec 17 18:31:40 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 06:30 -0500, mylar wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 11:30 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 06:11 -0500, mylar wrote:
> > > Hello.
>

> > > Any ideas. Where do I start debugging this thing ? Why would it work,
> > > then not work, intermittently like that. Its one of the strangest
> > > problems I've had in a looooong time.
> >
> > First off, what kind of video hardware is it?  Which driver are you
> > running?  This sounds like the driver is misinterpreting the DRI data
> > from the monitor on warm boots.
> >

> Okay, the machine is 2.8 Ghz Dell 4600 running an Intel on board video
> adapter. The video card is an Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics
> Controller  and the monitor is a Dell E172FP flap panel LCD display. The
> driver is the i810 driver which is the one I was told to use and, the
> only one which seems to work. I'm running at a screen resolution of
> 1280x1024 which I have been using on this machine for several years. I
> had no problem with Fedora 1, not with Fedora 7 while running the 2.6.18
> XEN kernel. As soon as I upgraded to 2.6.20 whammo, the problem began.
>
> To make things confusing (at least for me) it sometimes the display
> comes up fine. Other times it will flicker a few times then come up
> fine. other times it sits there like stone and does nothing till I hit
> the big switch.
>
> Oh, one other thing. It also happens on cold boots too. This morning I
> booted the machine cold and it happened. I had to reboot to the old
> kernel.
>
> Lastly, I can find nothing in the systems logs or anywhere else that
> might indicate where the glitch is occurring. It's strange.

I've run into a similar thing myself.  On occasion after the screen
saver blanks the screen (this is on an nVidia with a Viewsonic display),
the display wakes up but it's torn and unreadable.  A quick
"CTRL-ALT-F1" followed by an "ALT-F7" (go to text console and back to
GUI) cures it.  I've not found a permanent fix.

It seems that the DRI/DRM stuff isn't sticking so the horizontal and
vertical refresh aren't sent properly when the screen wakes up and my
weird key sequence above causes a reset.  This smells like something
that should be sent to bugzilla.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
- "People tell me I look at the dark side.  That's not true.  I have -
-   the heart of a small boy......in a jar right here on my desk."   -
-                                                    -- Stephen King -