Fwd: Re: upload speeds - ftp

Bob Kinney bc98kinney at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 05:20:06 UTC 2007

Oops, the reply-address was set to the poster...

> --- Bret Stern <bret_stern at machinemanagement.com> wrote:
>

> > Does anybody have any tips for increasing upload
> > speeds?
> >
> > Perhaps sending the file a different way.
> >
> > I periodically send a zipped 500mb file to my ftp host.
> > (data sent to my server from a dsl client/customer)
> >
> > I have Comcast cable, and host an ftp server on my
> > network. The host is behind an inexpensive router,
> > which is port forwarded to my ftp host.
> >
> > The ftp host is a Dell 2450 with dual 1.2 processors,
> > 2-gb ram routed through a Cisco 2900XL 10/100 switch.
> >
> > I'm getting about 38 - 40 kb upload speed to my
> > host.
> >
> > B Stern

Is that Kb or KB per second?

If it's the latter, that would put you at around 320 Kbits / second,
which is where my service gets throttled.

You might get a bit more for the first few megabytes (if your service
has the speedboost feature) before the vise clamps down.

--bc