Help !! It's Baaack !

Micros50 micros50 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 21 04:52:45 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 09:38 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 06:01 -0500, mylar wrote:

> > > I've run into a similar thing myself.  On occasion after the screen
> > > saver blanks the screen (this is on an nVidia with a Viewsonic display),
> > > the display wakes up but it's torn and unreadable.  A quick
> > > "CTRL-ALT-F1" followed by an "ALT-F7" (go to text console and back to
> > > GUI) cures it.  I've not found a permanent fix.
> > >
> > > It seems that the DRI/DRM stuff isn't sticking so the horizontal and
> > > vertical refresh aren't sent properly when the screen wakes up and my
> > > weird key sequence above causes a reset.  This smells like something
> > > that should be sent to bugzilla.
> > >

> > I may have found a temporary fix. I lowered the default screen
> > resolution as root and thus far it has booted up with no problems two or
> > three times in a row. However, when i log in and operate under X under
> > my regular non-root account it seems to run fine under the higher
> > 1280x1024 screen resolution that I normally like to use.
> >
> > I googled around a bit to see what I could find about this problem. it
> > seems that I am not alone. Others have reported similar problems. seems
> > something got broke between kernel updates with respect to the i810
> > driver. I hate it when updates break stuff that has previously worked
> > but that's the nature of the beast.
>
> I kinda suspected it was something like that.
>
> > I never submitted a bug report to bugzilla. Is that a relatively
> > painless process ?  It would be great if this problem could be patched
> > soon.
>
> First, go to https://bugzilla.redhat.com and create an account (don't
> worry, it's free) and log in.  Select "New" in the grey menu bar below
> the red one at the top.  In the next screen, select a product and you'll
> be taken to the appropriate screen.  The items labeled in blue should be
> filled in as best you can.  When you're done, click on the "Commit"
> button at the bottom of the page.
>
> Pretty simple.

Thanks for the help. For the time being I seem to have found a temporary
workaround as I described in a prior email. Thus far I've booted this
machine several times into the new kernel and it hasn't hung with a
blank screen. Meanwhile I'll file a bugzilla report. Hopefully this
problem will be fixed in future kernel updates. This new kernel fixes a
few other annoying problems I was having with the old kernel. Glad I can
use it now.

Now I've got to check another (different) machine. Seems the kernel I
updated on that one is causing strange system hangups.That's the way it
goes I suppose. Fix one break another :)

In the event I don't write to the list till next year Happy Holidays

John / (mylar)