RHEL v4 can't find HDD issue

Kevin Raber ktr at mtu.edu
Thu Feb 8 18:37:11 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 18:35 +0200, Boris Raikhlin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a new PC of the following configuration:
>>
>>        - Motherboard: Intel DG965WH;
>>
>>        - CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E6600;
>>
>>        - Chipset: G965;
>>
>>        - SATA controller: ICH8;
>>
>>        - HDD: 2x250GB disks.
>>
>> 1) I'm trying to install RHEL Server v4 kit (trial license).
>>
>> 2) I downloaded and burned the x86_64 version.
>>
>> 3) I know about the only working AHCI mode for ICH8.
>>
>> 4) I tried all the three drives options: IDE, AHCI and RAID (with RAID
>> configuration).
>>
>> I get "No driver found" message at the beginning of the installation.
>>
>> 5) I installed the last BIOS update: MQ1618. Nothing has changed.
>>
>> 6) I tried RHEL v5 also. Same result.
>
> I'm not sure that controller is recognized by RHEL.  It's pretty new.
> The current compatible hardware list is at:
>
> 	http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/
>
> You may find you need to download a driver from Intel's site (if there
> is one).

Hi - I think you will find that Fedora Core 6 will recognize that SATA
controller, and also Redhat 5 beta 2 will as well.  If you want to stay
with RH4, then take a look here:

http://www.jmicron.com/Driver.htm

there is an FTP link at the bottom where you can download a floppy image
to use with "linux dd" at the first RH4 cd install prompt,

ktr