how to execute an excutable file

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Feb 27 17:57:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 15:41 +0530, narendra wrote:
> Hi,
> why shouldn't  current working directory be in the PATH??

People have gotten themselves into trouble by having executables in the
current directory and running them by accident.  The entire purpose of
having a PATH is to quarantine executables into a few well-known
directories.

Is it really so onerous to type in the extra two characters, "./"?

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:43:17 +0100, Johan Lithander wrote
> > You most likely tried to run it as a.out instead of ./a.out
> > The current working directory is usually not in the PATH (and
> shouldn't be in the PATH either !!!).
> >
> > /J

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer          rstevens at vitalstream.com -
-   The light at the end of the tunnel is really an oncoming train.  -