Upgrade or new install??

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jan 17 21:07:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 15:11 -0500, Richard Riley wrote:
> I have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with Intel Xeon 5110 processors (4) that
> has RedHat ES4 32bit version.
> I want to install the 64bit version.
> Will this require a complete new install or can I simply do an
> upgrade???

I don't think an upgrade will work since you're already running RHEL
ES4.whatever and I don't think the installer differentiates between 32
and 64 bit--just the version.  I've never tried, however.

My guess is you need a full install, but you CAN tell the installer to
NOT format the partitions you already have.  That way, user stuff will
remain in place.

-    If your broker is so damned smart...why is he still working?    -