file.iso

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jan 29 18:23:41 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 14:33 -0500, Dominick Petracca wrote:
> thanks Rick.  I see how to select hard drive installation but I'm
> still running into problems.
>
> Here is what I'm trying to do.
>
> I have 1 drive on my system.  I installed RH and left a hda3 partition
> free to put the CD images on.
>
> Is this possible?  What do I need to do to hda3 in order to get my iso
> files on it and then be able to install from it.

If hd3 is a raw partition, it's probably best if you format it as vfat:

	# mkfs -t vfat /dev/hda3

and put your images on it.

> Right now I'm doing 'dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/tmp/install/disk1.iso' for
> each disk.  (does it matter what I call the ISO files?)

Yes, the installer is going to look for the exact filenames.  I'm not
certain what version of RHEL you're trying to install, but the format
would be something like:

	 RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc1.iso

Change the "-U4-" and "-disk1" as appropriate.

> But that puts the iso files on my current drive which I'm going to
> install RH to so I need to get them onto my hda3 partition.
>
> I realize what I'm doing is kinda crazy but it forces me to get my
> hands dirty.....

Not at all.  It's very, very common to do what you're doing.  That's
why the disk install method was invented!  Many people put the ISOs on
a removable hard disk (perhaps one that interfaces via USB) and install
that way.  Some do an http install, some a bootp/tftp install.  Most do
CD or DVD.  Whatever floats your boat, Dominick.  To repeat my favorite
quotation:

	"If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!"

-     Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.      -