unable to boot Fedora Core (2.6.20-1.2962.fc6xen)

J. Refugio Rodriguez jose.refugio.r at metztli-it.com
Sat Jul 14 07:21:26 UTC 2007

Could it be the kernel and/or module support in
kernels 2.6.20-29xx.xx (as my reference for this post
is my own 2.6.20-2925.11, but for Fedora 7) ?

The video support in Fedora core 7 needs to be worked
on, obviously, as judged against other Linux distros
like OpenSuSE 10.2 (for an example please, see Xen
Virtualization on Sun Ultra 20: <
http://metztli-it.com/blog >.

Both, the Fedora core 7 32- and 64-bit distros --with
and without Xen-- had to be installed/started in text
mode because the Fedora installation routine did not
recognize the Sun Ultra 20  built in ATI video card
(ATI ES1000 2D Graphics Controller).  On the other
hand, both 32- and 64-bit OpenSuSE's equivalents had
no problem installing in GUI mode and subsequently
booting into GDM.

If you are able to boot to a text login prompt, login
as root and attempt to start your (login GUI) GDM or
KDM as follows (after you are logged in as root, of
course), type:

init 5

Wait a few seconds...

If that works, all you have to do is configure GDM or
KDM to greet you :)

Hope that works for you.

Jose Refugio
http://www.metztli-it.com