subject Re: pc comm station speaker phone

tyche at ica.net tyche at ica.net
Wed Jun 6 15:40:19 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 04:18, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 19:57 -0400, tyche at ica.net wrote:
> > i recently acquired a compaq pc speaker phone. this thing was made in
> > 2000 according to the booklet with it. i didnt get the drivers. any one
> > know if this is usable with fc?
>
> I've never even heard of such a beast!  Is it a combo modem/phone?  PCI,
> USB or serial port?
>
> If it's PCI, try doing an "lspci" on it and post what it says.  If it's
> USB, try "lsusb".  If it's serial, I have no idea if it's usable or
> not.  For that matter, I don't know if it's usable on PCI or USB
> either.  Like I said, I've never heard of it before.  Might be fun to
> try to sort out.

its an external speaker that plugs into the usb port for power, has a 12v dc
adapter that plugs into the wall, two 3.5mm plugs that gets plugged into the
sound card (mic and speaker) plus a plug that gets put into the handset plug
on a phone, and the handset plug gets plugged into a wire that leads to the
speaker.

there is also supposed to be a plug that gets plugged into an lcd monitor, tho
where that particular wire gets plugged in, gok, as there is no other ports
open on the speaker box. i kinda got it working on my 98 based laptop. volume
up as far as it will go, but with the phone handle off the hook, dont get
much volume from the speaker.

with what little experimentation i have done on this device, its seems like a
good idea gone bad. hp/compaq doesn't seem to realize that this device even
exists. will just have to try it out and see what happens.

it seems to me that it is all hardware driven. the usb-port passthrough works
ok. (least on the laptop).

will get off my butt and move the linux box around and see what happens. will
keep ya posted on progress.

thanks

tyche