Server Cloning application

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Mar 6 18:28:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 11:02 -0500, mylar wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 09:48 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 10:11 -0600, Esquivel, Vicente wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me what they use for cloning RH servers?
> >
> > Ghost4Linux (g4l) works well.  Good ol' ghost 2003 works, too.
> > We also use a disk duplicator.  Expensive, but a good way to clone
> > 5+ disks at a time.
> >
> Is there any advantage to using g4l over something like dd ???

You can't use dd if the disks are dissimilar or the partition sizes are
different.  dd is only really reliable with absolutely identical disks,
and even then I'm skeptical as it does absolutely no error checking.

g4l can handle dissimilar partitions, disks and such and does a fair bit
of error checking.  g4l is freeware.  Use it.

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer          rstevens at vitalstream.com -
-  A friend said he climbed to the top of Mount Ranier.  My view is  -
-    that if there's no elevator, it must not be that interesting.   -