Sound Server Failure

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 14 21:05:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 12:18 -0700, Karl Pearson wrote:
> For a while now I can only hear one thing at a time. Duplexing doesn't work,
> if that's what it's called.
>
> Details:
>
> FC6 2911.6.5 kernel
> mplayer streaming live radio.
> Kicking off a window which should play a chime when a dialog window comes up
> and instead, I get an Informational artsmessage:
>
> Sound server informational message:
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy)
> The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
>
> Where do I set arts to listen to more than one thing at a time?

Uh, I think you mean alsa, don't you?  I think you probably have mplayer
opening the sound system in exclusive mode.  Bring up the preferences
and see which audio driver you're using.  I'm using OSS.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer          rstevens at vitalstream.com -
-                      LOOK OUT!!! BEHIND YOU!!!                     -