Install over FC SAN works, boot doesn't

isplist at logicore.net isplist at logicore.net
Mon Mar 19 16:45:53 UTC 2007

I am able to install Linux over the FC network and onto a storage volume.
However, when I try to boot these installs, I only get a blank screen and
cannot boot.

I have found that I can install the /boot directory to a flash card on each
blade and then am able to boot fine with swap and root on the remote volume.

Why is this and how can I make my install 100% remote?

Also strange (to me at least), I have found that if I connect the multiple
volume storage device to the rest of the FC network, already installed
machines with Qlogic cards in them no longer boot. They come up with many
errors and all finally stall at the syslog starting point. Disconnecting the
new storage allows them to boot again.

I believe this has something to do with LUN masking/zoning (which I've yet to
learn, have to start reading Brocade 2800 docs next) but what I don't get is
why the new blades can see their own LUNS if installed as noted above with
flash /boot, but old machines get stuck?

Rather confusing.

Mike