network installation ( dhcp problem)

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Mar 23 17:48:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 12:55 +0530, Alok Pandey wrote:
> Hi  linux Gurus,
> I am trying to configure a network installation server on CentOS(2.6.9).

No, it's CentOS 4.something.  The kernel is 2.6.9-something.  Please be
clear... there are major differences between the different CentOS
versions.

> The point where i stucked  is .
>     The client is not able to find my dhcp server.
> The steps which i have taken is:
> 1) copy all the 4 cd disk to /data/network-install/x86/CentOs/RPM
> 2) copy all the 4 cd image to /data/network-install/x86/CentOs/ISO
> 3)configured NFS as (in  /etc/exportfs)
>      /data/network    *(ro,sync)
> 4)configured ftp as
>     anon_root=/data/network-install/x86/CentOs/RPM
> 5) Configured dhcp server by putting mac address ,hostname and ip.

Are you sure you started the DHCP daemon, dhcpd?

> Now  after booting the client with CentOs 1st cd and choosing te option :-
> 1) Lan Boot
>     results: perfect  (i.e it get the ip same  address as mentioned in Dhcp)
> 2) linux askmethod
>     a) Dynamic Ip by dhcp
>         results:- fail  with error
>         Pump Told us : no dhcp reply recived.

Hell, the installer still uses pump?  Jeeze!

>     b) static ip
>     results:- proceed , but failed to mount the nfs share and anonymous
> dir  shared by the server.

This sounds like a firewall issue to me.  Get on the server and verify
that you've opened the firewall for NFS and DHCP.

> Hope the above Information will clear my situation .
> I am not getting any way around, can any one show me a light.
> Any suggestion is welcome.
>
> One thing i will like to mention here is that after installation ,
> client find my dhcp successfully . and also

And also....what?

It's odd that after installation dhclient finds the dhcp server, but
not before.  Again, this could be a firewall issue and you're not
actually using DHCP but a fixed IP.
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
-     Try to look unimportant.  The bad guys may be low on ammo.     -