UPS comments

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Wed Mar 28 05:46:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, March 27, 2007 5:56 pm, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 17:02 -0700, Bret Stern wrote:
>> I am thinking of adding a UPS (APC Back-UPS Pro 650) to one
>> of my servers because i'm bored.
>>
>> Is the apcupsd daemon the common solution for monitoring the UPS,
>> or is there a canned rpm with Fedora 6 which will handle a simple
>> controlled shutdown?
>
> "nut" (network UPS tools) has a bunch of stuff.  Have a looksee at the
> NUT home page:
>
> 	http://www.networkupstools.org/
>
> And you can install the RPMs via:
>
> 	yum install nut
> 	yum install nut-client

Or you can consider a Belkin UPS. I got one for my desktop at work and it
comes with a Linux monitoring tool. I've not set it up for shutdown as this
one keeps the system up for several hours (I over-bought). I'll have to look
at that issue.

And I'll see about NUT, too.

Karl

> - Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
> -      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
> -  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
> -               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
 the people who are evil, but because of the people who
 don't do anything about it.
 - Albert Einstein
---