udev problems

Daniel Corbe daniel.junkmail at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 14:28:54 UTC 2007

Dear Community,
I recently installed RHEL4 on a brand new Compaq DL380.

Due to the age of the kernel proper support for my cciss RAID card isn't
present (HP put out a new driver in the newer kernels) and by default in
Redhat Kernels the Broadcom NetXtreme II gigabit ethernet drivers are
disabled.

Needless to say this ruled out a conventional system installation.

I wound up booting off of a live CD with a newer kernel and more driver
support.  I used this to partition my hard drive and install all the
necessary RPMs by hand.  I then installed fresh kernel sources and compiled
a kernel using a redhat .config files with some changes of my own (like the
ethernet card, for example).

Everything went swimmingly well, except for udev which is now causing me
chronic headaches.

There seems to be little documentation about how udev should behave in
RedHat (or maybe I'm using the wrong search terms, or perhaps I just don't
get it)

After running MAKEDEV it seems like there's a LOT of sutff missing.  For
example I don't have any /dev/pts or /dev/shm stuff and gnome-terminal is
complaining about it.

(sorry for the length of this post, to ask a simple question)

So my question is:  How do I PROPERLY initialize udev after having manually
installed my RHEL4 system without the aide of Anaconda?

Regards,
Daniel