use eth1 instead?

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Mon Oct 29 22:52:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 03:44:36PM -0700, chuck lawrence wrote:
> hi,
>
> I have a RHES 3 system with 3 NICs.  I'm using one that is 10/100, but I
> want to switch to one of the others, which are 10/100/1000.
>
> I've edited /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 and eth2, using
> the values from eth0.
>
> is there anything else to do, other than switch the cable? eth1 and eth2
> weren't configured at boot time.  will running ifconfig manually
> suffice, or do I have to reboot?
>
> adv(thanks)ance
>
> -chuck

To assure that eth0 doesn't come up, set this line in ifcfg-eth0:

ONBOOT=no

and similarly, see that ifcfg-eth1 contains

ONBOOT=yes

No, I don't think you need to reboot.  You should be able to

service network restart

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
I lift up my eyes to the hills -- where does my help come from? My
help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
Psalm 121:1-2 (NIV)