ubs mem stick install

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Sep 7 17:39:28 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 08:22 -0500, Fred Grant wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 17:57 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

> > > Do you mean USB?  (Dyslexics Untie!)

> > > I think so, if the box will boot from a USB device.  I think the more
> > > recent boxes do.

> > > The other alternative is to download the DVD ISO to a hard drive,
> > > internal or USB drive, then boot from the F7 rescue CD to install.  I
> > > think that will work.  Not tried.  I'm still migrating to FC6.
> >
> > There's also an "F7 Live CD" you can download, burn and boot.  It will
> > run all by itself or you can do a network install from it using public
> > servers.
> >
> I have access to cable Internet at my son's on a Windows PC.  Could I
> burn the live CD and then install to a usb device that I could bring
> home and use on my system?  If so, how would you suggest going about it?

The live CD is designed to be burned to a CD as it's an ISO file (CD
ROM image file).  I suggested it as you said you didn't have a DVD
but I assumed you may have had a CD drive.  The nice thing about the
live CD is that you can "try it first" and install to hard drive if
you like it.

If you want to install and bypass the "try it first" stuff, you can do
a network install using a USB thumbdrive.  Download the "diskboot.img"
file from one of the mirrors and copy that to your thumbdrive using
"dd" or (under DOS/Windows), "rawrite".  You can boot the thumbdrive and
do a network install.

Have a look at this page:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/sn-which-files.html

Try to figure out what you want to do and we'll do what we can to help.

think it'd work, however.  I can give it a try.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-   The light at the end of the tunnel is really an oncoming train.  -