ubs mem stick install

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Sep 7 17:57:28 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 10:39 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 08:22 -0500, Fred Grant wrote:

> > > There's also an "F7 Live CD" you can download, burn and boot.  It will
> > > run all by itself or you can do a network install from it using public
> > > servers.
> > >
> > I have access to cable Internet at my son's on a Windows PC.  Could I
> > burn the live CD and then install to a usb device that I could bring
> > home and use on my system?  If so, how would you suggest going about it?
>
> The live CD is designed to be burned to a CD as it's an ISO file (CD
> ROM image file).  I suggested it as you said you didn't have a DVD
> but I assumed you may have had a CD drive.  The nice thing about the
> live CD is that you can "try it first" and install to hard drive if
> you like it.
>
> If you want to install and bypass the "try it first" stuff, you can do
> a network install using a USB thumbdrive.  Download the "diskboot.img"
> file from one of the mirrors and copy that to your thumbdrive using
> "dd" or (under DOS/Windows), "rawrite".  You can boot the thumbdrive and
> do a network install.
>
> Have a look at this page:
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/sn-which-files.html
>
> Try to figure out what you want to do and we'll do what we can to help.
>
> think it'd work, however.  I can give it a try.

Whoops!  That last line got poked in by accident!  Too many windows open
and middle mouse button was clicked.  My bad!

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -