unstable system question

Richard Riley rriley at procuri.com
Thu Sep 20 20:27:55 UTC 2007

Do you have the package sysstat installed?  This is an optional package
that records a wide range of system statistics at 5 minutes intervals
(via cron).  I have found it quite helpful in reviewing what was
happening leading up to a problem situation, although as you indicated
with top, it may not continue to run at the critical times.  It does
record it's data in a file in /var/log/sa/ directory, so the data is
still present after a machine crash or a reboot.