unstable system question

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Mon Sep 24 20:35:31 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 11:20 -0400, jim ruxton wrote:
> > > So far my system has stabilized since I added pci=noapci to my
> > > grub.conf . Is there something I should do to narrow down the problem
> > > within acpi or should I just live with noacpi on my laptop?
> >
> > You could try "acpi_skip_timer_override" or its opposite
> > "acpi_use_timer_override".  Not sure which is the best bet.  Does this
> > beastie use an nVidia chipset?
> >
> > There's several other options available, but not having issues myself,
> > I can't say which may work.  Here's a snapshot of the docs:
> >
> > acpi=           [HW,ACPI,X86-64,i386]
> >                 Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
> >                 Format: { force | off | ht | strict | noirq }
> >                 force -- enable ACPI if default was off
> >                 off -- disable ACPI if default was on
> >                 noirq -- do not use ACPI for IRQ routing
> >                 ht -- run only enough ACPI to enable Hyper Threading
> >                 strict -- Be less tolerant of platforms that are
> >                    not strictly ACPI specification compliant.
> >
> > One other thing I might mention is to see if there's an updated BIOS
> > for your machine and if so, install it.
> Thanks Rick I'll look more into the acpi docs . Yes it has an Nvidia
> chip.

I asked that because of this info:

acpi_skip_timer_override [HW,ACPI]
	Recognize and ignore IRQ0/pin2 Interrupt Override.
	For broken nForce2 BIOS resulting in XT-PIC timer.

acpi_use_timer_override [HW,ACPI}
	Use timer override. For some broken Nvidia NF5 boards
	that require a timer override, but don't have HPET

All that's buried in
/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc*/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-                    Do you know where _your_ towel is?              -