screen resolution

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Mon Apr 21 16:14:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:05:58PM +0100, John Dunn wrote:
> I want to increase the screen resolution in RHEL 5
>
> However Sytems Preferences...Screen Resolution only allows allows a
> maximum of 800x600
>
> Is this an issue with the video driver?

Not if it has correctly identified your video card.  Assuming you are
running system-config-display, does it correctly identify your video
card?

How about the display?  In my experience, if it doesn't correctly
detect what your display device, it limits you to safe resolutions.
If it has detected your display as some generic device, go through the
selection process to manually set the display type.  If your exact
monitor is not listed, you may have to set it to something like
"Generic 1024x768" or whatever best fits your monitor.

> John Dunn
>
> Product Consultant
>
> Sefas Innovation Limited
>
> Direct Dial + 44 (0) 117 373 6122
>
> www.sefas.com <blocked::file:///C:/Documents and
> Settings/ransty/Application Data/Microsoft/Signatures/www.sefas.com>
>
> Sefas Innovation Ltd, CityPoint, Temple Gate, Bristol BS1 6PL, UK. Tel:
> +44 (0) 117 373 6114 Fax: +44 (0) 117 373 6115
>
> Sefas Innovation Limited.  Registered No: 3769761 England.  Registered
> Office: One New Street, Wells, Somerset, BA5 2LA, United Kingdom.  VAT
> Registration No: GB 741 5377 32
>
> <lame disclamer punted>

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow
of the Almighty.  Psalm 91:1 (NIV)